Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a Custom Choice Loan, the student must:
- Be enrolled at least half-time in a Title IV eligible program at an eligible school.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident;
- Be the legal age of majority, or at least 17 years of age at the time of application*;
- Have a permanent residency address that is NOT in Iowa or Wisconsin
Do you need a cosigner?
A cosigner is not required; however, most students, especially those without a substantial credit history, may need a creditworthy cosigner to qualify. You can invite your cosigner from within the application with an EasyInviteSM email. This tool lets your cosigner link right to your application to fill in their information and help finalize the application. Find out more about how a cosigner can help. A cosigner release option is available.1
Feel free to review Frequently Asked Questions about our Custom Choice private student loan, or talk to a SunTrust representative at 866-232-3889.
* The legal age for entering into contracts is 18 years of age in every state except Alabama (19 years old), Nebraska (19 years old, only for wards of the state), and Mississippi and Puerto Rico (21 years old).
1 Request for the cosigner to be released can be made after the first 48 consecutive, on-time payments (not later than ten days after the due date) of principal and interest have been made. The borrower must meet credit criteria on their own at the time of the request. The borrower must also be currently enrolled for automatic deduction of monthly payments from a bank account.
EasyInvite is a registered service mark of First Marblehead Corporation.
Certain restrictions and limitations may apply. SunTrust reserves the right to change or discontinue these programs without notice. All loan programs are subject to approval and may not be available in certain jurisdictions.