Financial Aid Officers
You're helping students. And we want to help you.
Guiding students through the options to pay for college is a tough job and SunTrust is here to help. Assistance is available from regional SunTrust representatives who can assist during college fairs, high school nights, product training or otherwise. For student specific questions or general product inquires, Priority Services can also be contacted at 866.296.3637.
- Loan Processing
- Customer Service
- Private Student Loans
- Student Loan Repayment
- Student Loan Resources & Calculators
- Undergraduate and graduate students competitive pricing, a choice of a fixed or variable interest rate
- Borrower benefits encourage degree completion and thoughtful, informed borrowing decisions
- Application process provides added transparency by displaying, in the same session, an estimated repayment calculation for the actual pricing offered
- Applicants can customize their student loan options and see the impact of their choices on pricing and then compare scenarios.
- SunTrust student loans require school certification
School Processing Information
Student Loan Certification
Financial Aid Administrators can certify SunTrust private student loans and check the status of a borrower's loan through schoolcertify.com, First Marblehead's web-based system for schools. Using www.schoolcertify.com, Financial Aid Administrators have 24x7 access to loan information.
Several different industry delivery methods that utilize CommonLine are supported such as ELM and ScholarNet.
Student Loan Disbursements
Funds for SunTrust private student loans are sent to the school. Disbursements can be made daily or on specific days of the week as requested by Financial Aid Offices. Up to four disbursements can be scheduled within the academic period. Before funds can be disbursed, the following will be verified:
- All Title X disclosures have been presented
- Applicant Self-Certification form has been received
- Student and cosigner, if applicable, have accepted the terms of the loan as identified in the Approval Disclosure
- Rescission period as stated within the Final Disclosure has expired
Default Management for Colleges and Universities
AES, the loan servicer for SunTrust private student loans, has created an informational website, YouCanDealWithIt.com, that guides borrowers and parents through all aspects of the student aid process prior to attending, during, and post-college. It gives practical advice to parents, college students (undergraduate and graduate), and college graduates about common financial situations they may be facing. The site offers several resources such as the following:
- Financial tips
- Helpful budgeting guidelines
- Student loan information
- Resources for colleges and universities such as a default prevention plan and educational related materials to advise students about student loans and debt management to allow for a seamless transition from the classroom to the working world
Contact Information for Schools
Monday - Friday 9:00am-8:00pm (ET)
Contact Information for Applicants
Monday - Friday 9:00am-8:00pm (ET)
The school, the student or the cosigner (if applicable) can cancel a SunTrust private student loan disbursement at any time prior to the disbursement date. To refund or cancel a loan that has been disbursed via EFT, schools have two options:
- Return the funds via EFT
- Issue a check payable to The First Marblehead Corporation and send it to the following address:
SunTrust Private Student Loans Custom Choice or Graduate Business Loan
Attn: Loan Disbursement
PO Box 848108
Boston, MA 02284-8108
For overnight mail, please send to:
First Marblehead Education Resources, Inc.
Attn: Funding Department
One Cabot Road
Medford, MA 02155
Please include the following information with the check:
- Student's name and Loan ID number
- Dollar amount of disbursement to be cancelled
- Original disbursement date
- Reason for cancellation
Click here to see a comparison of private student loan options offered by SunTrust.
SunTrust is pleased to offer college students a way to help fill the financial aid gap when scholarships, federal aid and other options don't cover the cost of college. The Custom Choice Loan program provides undergraduate and graduate students competitive pricing, a choice of a fixed or variable rate, and borrower benefits that encourage degree completion and thoughtful, informed borrowing decisions. The Graduate Business School Loan is tailored to meet the needs of graduate students pursuing a degree in a business program.
The application process provides added transparency by displaying, in the same session, an estimated repayment calculation for the actual pricing offered. The online application also allows applicants to customize their loan options and see the impact of their choices on pricing, before they make any commitment. The loan requires school certification and can only be used to pay for educational expenses as defined by the school.
American Education Services (AES) is the servicer for SunTrust private student loans and manages contact with borrowers during in-school, grace and repayment periods.
Prior to first payment due date, an Early Awareness plan begins with all borrowers
- Welcome packages are mailed to all borrowers and cosigners (if applicable)
- Several touch points are made to the borrower and the cosigner notifying them of pending repayment status. Communication methods include letters, emails and phone calls.
AES has created an informational website, YouCanDealWithIt.com, that guides borrowers and parents through all aspects of the student aid process prior to attending, during, and post-college. It gives practical advice to parents, college students (undergraduate and graduate), and college graduates about common financial situations they may be facing. This site offers several resources such as the following:
- Financial tips
- Helpful budgeting guidelines
- Student loan information and more
Planning for school is made easy with a variety of online resources and tools.
Getting ready for school? SunTrust can help. Before investigating ways to pay for college expenses, it's important to know how much money is needed and how much will be paid back each month once repayment begins. Use the resources below to help get financially prepared for the years ahead.
- Smart Solutions for Managing Your Money - Following these steps can help you create good habits today that will help establish your financial future.
- Education Budget Calculator - Use this calculator to figure out your annual costs for college.
- Glossary of financial aid related terms - Any time you're not sure of a financial aid term, you can always refer to our glossary.
- Loan Comparison Chart - It's important to understand the differences that exist between the types of student loans.
- Student Loan Payment Estimator - Determine what student loan repayment plan may best fit your needs.
- How to Manage Your Private Loan - If you are considering a private student loan, it is important that you understand all aspects of your loan, the application process and its repayment requirements.
- Funding Analysis Calculator - Use this tool once you know how much scholarships, grants and financial aid are going to cover.
- What Will It Take To Save For College? - These resources can help you determine what it will take to reach your college savings goal.
- How to Borrow for College - It's important to familiarize yourself with the range of student loan options available.
- How Much Should I Budget For College Living Expenses? - This calculator helps you to budget for living expenses for one year of college.
- Money Smarts for College Students - Money management tips for college-bound students.
Paying for college can be a challenge, SunTrust can help navigate the options.
Before you look into paying for your college expenses, it's important to know how much money you'll need. Our money management resources, tools, and budgeting tips can help.
Financial Aid Tools
Use our college tuition guide and step-by-step guide to paying for college for planning advice on how to avoid getting too over-burdened with debt before you've earned a degree.
Scholarships & Grants
Before you get a loan, we encourage you to try getting scholarships and grants first. Our list of online resources can help. You can also register for our SunTrust Off To College Scholarship Sweepstakes.